Sunday, August 5, 2012

Vienna or Bust!



Hello All!

Did you ever have one of those moments that you have been planning for and thinking about for so long...that when it actually happens you don't even know what to do with yourself?  That's how I'm feeling today because today is THE DAY!  I'm en route to Vienna and the beginning of this new chapter as we "speak" and I don't even know what to say about it.  It's a very surreal feeling :-).

This week was all about packing and family time.  If you follow me on facebook you know that I have been somewhat ridiculously agonizing about my suitcases and what stays and goes.  So I finally caved and checked three suitcases (one of them is overweight - poor baggage guys).  The interesting thing is that I'm not even 100% sure what is in all of them.  My father (the proud scoutmaster) made it his personal mission to pack as many things as possible into each suitcase in some kind of an awesome quest to be the world's ultimate packer.  When I opened one suitcase and found a tiny stuffed aardvark and t-rex I knew that we'd both gone bannanas.  His argument for keeping them both was that they made friends and couldn't be seperated and I may really need a stuffed aardvark someday so wouldn't I feel silly if I took them out?  Hmmm hard to argue with crazy logic I suppose (love you dad!).

As we speak I'm in the midst of the airport adventure.  First transfer was to Chicago - next I'll be headed to London.  Stupidest thing so far?  Hmmm probably the fact that their is no food in the international terminal but there's copious amounts of cigarettes and alcohal to purchase.  To this I wonder...what's the bigger threat level here?  People eating McDonald's or people packing away the Whiskey and Vodka on an empty stomach?  I'm sure someone can probably explain the logic of this to me but I'm not sure I'll believe them!

I've been amusing myself thus far taking stupid pictures of the toothbrush and company chilling in the airport with me.  If you don't understand the toothbrush's significance you'll have to look back at my old photos from Europe.  Best. Traveling Companion. Ever.   Attempts to post pictures of their awesomeness failing miserably.  Pictures aren't uploading well here.  Apologies :-(


Hopefully if all is good I'll be arriving in Vienna at 1:10pm Austrian time on Monday where I will be greeted and ushered off into a week full of orientation to living and getting around in Vienna.  It looks like it'll be a couple of weeks before I have wireless set up at the apartment I'll be living in so no promises on regular updates until things settle down.  In the meantime some prayer requests below.

Prayer Requests:
* Continued safe travel!
* Energy and focus as I make the transition to a new culture and ministry
* Luggage that arrives safely! (and in the right place)
* The hearts and minds of the families that I will be meeting, creativity and energy for teaching
* Adaptability
* Still praying in 44% of my monthly support!

Love you all!!!!!
-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment