Saturday, June 2, 2012

Last Week at ODCS



My 5th graders in Bible class on the 1st day of school!
Wow what an emotional roller coaster this last week has been!  For those of you who aren't aware, I've spent the last 4 years teaching at Open Door Christian School in Elyria, Ohio.  This is the same school that I graduated from in 2004 and I was so blessed to be called back to the school as a teacher just after college!  The school has become like a family and it was very hard to say goodbye.  I may or may not have had a good long ugly cry on Wednesday in anticipation of the final goodbye!


Amid all of my tears, however, God so blessed me with what all of these students, their parents, and the faculty of the school spoke into me in my final days.  I am reaching that point in this process where things begin to become overwhelming and it is very easy to let my faith slip and to wonder whether God was "just joking" when he called me to Austria; or whether he really has a solid plan to get my financial support together so that I can fulfill my call.  After this week, however, I am so SURE that this is what God has for me.  Each of my students that came up for a hug, some of them in tears, all said to me that they were sad to see me go, but they knew that God was going to use me to help these kids in Austria.  I have had so many encouraging words from parents, and my co-workers have all been pouring into me confirmation and encouragement.
Bye Bye Birdie sets I designed - Beautiful memories with an awesome cast and crew!

One student sent me a letter with the following two verses included:
     "Psalm 62:8 "Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."


     "Isaiah 25:9 "In that day they will say, Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD, we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation.” 


She assured me that these verses mean that I need to trust God, even if I'm feeling unsure or am sad, because I'm doing what he has planned for me!  Thank the Lord for these awesome kids and the way that they've blessed me!

Winter Play (2-6th grade) 2011!  The three years I directed
these shows are some of my best memories!
I'm so excited to be following God's call.  For those of you who are praying for me I so appreciate prayers in the following weeks for the following: 1.  That God brings together the financial support necessary to afford the cost of living overseas.  2. An unspoken prayer coming in the next 2 weeks that will be hugely important for support 3.  Pre-Field orientation is coming up in 3 short weeks, I'll meet the Vienna team there and am praying for that to be a really good training experience.

I hoped to have some pictures from the last week of school up but I was so busy saying goodbye I forgot to document it!  So instead I've included some pictures of great memories from this past year with my students and with things I've been involved in.  Thank you ODCS for this chapter of my life!  Who knows whether I'll be back someday but remember all of you that, "Because I knew you, I have been changed - for good"


-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment